Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 13 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums12
Topics3,443
Posts13,203
Members7,064
Most Online175
Sep 26th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Should I become an MT? #7692
08/11/09 03:21 PM
08/11/09 03:21 PM
Savannah, GA
KelliN Offline OP
Newbie Gabber
KelliN  Offline OP
Newbie Gabber
Savannah, GA
Hi everyone. I have been considering starting an MT course, since my spouse is moving to a traveling construction job. I figured MT might be a good way to help out with our expenses while on the road.

However, I'm not sure that it sounds like a feasible idea, from reading various forum posts across the net. I have medical experience, and (legal) transcription experience on my resume (and am also a college grad). Is it really difficult to find flexible, part-time jobs that I could do from my home (RV), living all over the country? I know I wouldn't make near what I make at my current job, but my goal was to at least supplement our household income. I don't want to spend a ton of money to get a certificate, however, if I won't be able to find work!

Any advice you can give, I would greatly appreciate!

Re: Should I become an MT? #7693
08/13/09 03:45 PM
08/13/09 03:45 PM
Maine
K
kkb Offline
Pinnacle Gabber
kkb  Offline
Pinnacle Gabber
K
Maine
Hi Kelli,

That's a tricky question to answer. If you are going to be on the road you would likely need to work for a National transcription service, and from what I have heard, most of them do not allow employees to use satellite internet technology because it's just not to the point where it is reliable enough. That will likely change in the next few years, though.

The other problem is that most of the Nationals will not hire people with less than 2 years of experience (there are a few schools where they will make an exception, though).

You do sound like you have a great foundation to do well in the course and in the profession, though.

I would suggest going to www.ahdionline.org --they have a list of schools that have been through their accreditation process. Research the schools there, because some have better reputations than others. I would personally google the school names and see if you can find unsolicited opinions on them.

You might also want to call one of the national companies and ask them what school they would recommend.

Good luck--let us know what you decide!

kkb (Karyn), who considers herself a newbie and still remembers what it was like to be a newbie!
Re: Should I become an MT? #7694
08/19/09 11:26 PM
08/19/09 11:26 PM
texas
L
LR Offline
Newbie Gabber
LR  Offline
Newbie Gabber
L
texas
Hello there I am a newbie here, also considering starting an MT course. I do have a full time job and this would be something to supplement my income on a part time basis to hopefully get the experience to work full time.
I have been seeing in some of the forums that they suggest not starting the MT, they say no oppty in this field anymore.
I am trying to gather all information I can to make an intelligent decision.
I would love any and all feed back please

Also on the schools for online courses, any that I should stay away from? I have talked with Allied and felt comfortable.

thanks

Re: Should I become an MT? #7695
08/20/09 03:29 AM
08/20/09 03:29 AM
Maine
K
kkb Offline
Pinnacle Gabber
kkb  Offline
Pinnacle Gabber
K
Maine
Hi LR,

If you are planning on working for a large service you might find it difficult to find part-time work. It is also harder to get up to speed working part time. However, if you want to work for a local service or have your own clients, part time can be more doable, though lots of times the work is feast or famine and you need to work until it is done to turn it around in a timely fashion.

As far as schools, please read the 4th paragraph in my post above. State accreditation is different from AHDI accreditation.

Try calling some local transcription companies and ask them which course they would recommend.

All schools are NOT alike. Some have better reputations than others, i.e., their graduates are able to get hired soon after completing the course.

Good luck!

kkb (Karyn), who considers herself a newbie and still remembers what it was like to be a newbie!
Re: Should I become an MT? #7696
08/20/09 02:08 PM
08/20/09 02:08 PM
NC
S
Srenee Offline
Gabber
Srenee  Offline
Gabber
S
NC
In harmony with kkb, by word of mouth also is your best help. Just starting off with one or two offices and asking them to refer you sometimes will really take off. A lot depends on area, and speacialty as well.

I also have a blog for newbies if interested where maybe you can get additional answers. Check it out here: http://newbiespage.blogspot.com/

Have a great day.
Sonya
http://smtnewbiespage.blogspot.com/
Re: Should I become an MT? #7697
08/31/09 07:53 PM
08/31/09 07:53 PM
NC
S
Srenee Offline
Gabber
Srenee  Offline
Gabber