Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 18 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums12
Topics3,443
Posts13,203
Members7,064
Most Online175
Sep 26th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Where to Start? #4129
09/29/02 06:36 PM
09/29/02 06:36 PM
Odessa, Texas
N
nmn Offline OP
Gabber
nmn  Offline OP
Gabber
N
Odessa, Texas
Hello to Everyone wavey
I bookmarked this page 2 years ago when I began my MT course and I am glad I did. It provides valuable information to MTs and future MTs.
I recently completed course at Education Direct. It provided a good beginning course. I have found that being a MT is a continuous learning experience. Worked for a gynecologist for 15 years so have a medical background. Have taken A&P and Medical Terminology 3x. Veterinary Asst course, Vet Tech course, and MT course. Dog and cat A&P is basically the same as human.
Did well on MT. Don't have a big problem with spelling. "Punctuation" "Comma or a semicolon?" Hated English. May have to take a Business Communication course to brush up on that.
There are not a lot of in-house opportunities for MTs in my area. Two hospitals. Have heard they are next to impossible to get into. Am working on resume and cover letter to fax to transcription companies on the internet. Are there any companies that are more likely to hire "Newbies?" I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you
Noreen smile

Noreen
Re: Where to Start? #4130
09/29/02 08:34 PM
09/29/02 08:34 PM
C
channan Offline
Gabber
channan  Offline
Gabber
C
Can't help you with the job search, but I am switching from my current program at California College for Health Sciences to Education Direct and feel better knowing that you felt it was a decent course. Best of luck!

Re: Where to Start? #4131
09/30/02 03:46 PM
09/30/02 03:46 PM
Odessa, Texas
N
nmn Offline OP
Gabber
nmn  Offline OP
Gabber
N
Odessa, Texas
Thank you for your reply. I think you will enjoy the Education Direct course. They provide you with a great deal of the tools you need. Reference books, software, standard cassette transcriber, micro cassette transcriber, dictation tapes, and AAMT Book of Style.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. That is what we are all here for.

Good Luck on your studies!!!
Noreen

Noreen
Re: Where to Start? #4132
10/01/02 04:07 AM
10/01/02 04:07 AM
South Fork, PA
M
MTnumberuno Offline
Newbie Gabber
MTnumberuno  Offline
Newbie Gabber
M
South Fork, PA
Noreen,

I hope this is not too late for you for me to answer with one part of your question, that is the part about companies hiring newbies.

I am starting with MedQuist. They are hiring newbies nationwide.

I suggest working for a Medical Transcription Service or a hospital locally first or in conjunction with working from your home via internet.

I started through a local Drug & Alcohol Clinic, and now I am working at a local Med. Transcription company and going to be doing at-home through MedQuist starting in mid-October.

Need more information, just let me know!

Paula, Med. Transcriptionist

Re: Where to Start? #4133
10/02/02 01:08 PM
10/02/02 01:08 PM
Odessa, Texas
N
nmn Offline OP
Gabber
nmn  Offline OP
Gabber
N
Odessa, Texas
Thank you for your help. I am going to start checking with local personnel offices to see what is available here. About a year ago, I did contact a MedQuist recruiter in Dallas, and she told me to fax resume and course curriculum when I finished school. Am also going to check with local chapter of AAMT to see if I can attend a meeting.

Bet the leaves are turning in PA. All of my husbands family live in Coudersport, PA, and we did live there several years before coming to Texas.

Thanks again and good luck at MedQuist.

Noreen
Re: Where to Start? #4134
10/03/02 04:36 AM
10/03/02 04:36 AM
South Fork, PA
M
MTnumberuno Offline
Newbie Gabber
MTnumberuno  Offline
Newbie Gabber
M
South Fork, PA
Noreen,

I know where Coudersport is. I live in the small town of South Fork..........bet you do not know where that is.

I am glad to hear that they want you to fax them all your info and resume etc. Do it soon! They are hiring nationwide!

Although I live in PA, I will be working for the Las Vegas area office from my house part-time for now to see if I like it or not.

They also have an office in the Johnstown, PA area which is 20 minutes from where I live, but that office does not hire for at-home so I was told.

Nice to hear from you.......Hope things go good for you.......keep in touch with MedQuist, they are nice to talk to even on the phone.

Paula
Med. Transcriptionist

Re: Where to Start? #4135
10/03/02 01:25 PM
10/03/02 01:25 PM
Garland, Texas
mamaje10 Offline
Seasoned Gabber
mamaje10  Offline
Seasoned Gabber
Garland, Texas
I am also talking to a recruiter at the MedQuist office near Richland College in Dallas. I just faxed them a copy of my certificate last night and she told me she would be talking with me soon to arrange my testing. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you are. I've taken Medical Terminology twice and Physiology and Anatomy three times, I've completed my MT course and I type over 70 words a minute and sometimes I feel like I'll never get a job. They are the only company I've heard of that hires "newbies", or that I've had any success with so far. Granted, I've only been looking for about three weeks, but I was very frustrated after a couple of weeks of rejections. Good luck on your job search!

Dena

Re: Where to Start? #4136
10/04/02 05:39 PM
10/04/02 05:39 PM
Odessa, Texas
N
nmn Offline OP
Gabber
nmn  Offline OP
Gabber
N
Odessa, Texas
Hello Paula,

Thank you for all of your help. Starting out on something new is not always easy. Sometimes it takes a lot of determination. Thanks for giving me a push in the right direction.

You're right! I did not know where South Fork was, but I looked it up on the map.

Let me know once in a while how you are doing at MedQuist.

All the best!

Noreen
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  SOMara