Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 13 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums12
Topics3,443
Posts13,203
Members7,064
Most Online175
Sep 26th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
about to start school... #18973
02/27/14 09:12 PM
02/27/14 09:12 PM
California
C
CAmom Offline OP
Newbie Gabber
CAmom  Offline OP
Newbie Gabber
C
California
Hi! I am new here. I am about to start MT school. I was having second thoughts after visiting another MT forum & being told I was really dumb & stupid for wasting my money on MT school. It was a very negative place & I was bombarded with nasty comments. I was so upset about it. I have been reading the posts on this site & it is so much different. I am not looking for a "career" in MT, but I am looking to bring in $100-$200 a week working part time from home until our kids are out of the house (about 7 more years). I am then hoping to take that experience & apply in a medical office using my experience in the MT field so that I am not starting at entry level. I don't see these expectations as unreasonable. Am I wrong??
Thank you for any input!!
Jen

Re: about to start school... [Re: CAmom] #18974
03/11/14 10:53 AM
03/11/14 10:53 AM
Maine
K
kkb Offline
Pinnacle Gabber
kkb  Offline
Pinnacle Gabber
K
Maine
Hi Jen,

Welcome!! I think I know the site you went to and you are right, the atmosphere is very negative there.

That being said, I think you may have difficulty executing your plan. I don't know if you plan to work at home for a local doctor or practice (which is very rare these days to get a position like that), but if you want to work for a transcription service (and most of them are very big--they have gradually bought out the smaller services), you will have a very difficult time finding part time work. The overwhelming majority want full time, and most of the positions are 2nd and 3rd shifts and/or weekends. Working part time at first, it would take you awhile to get up to speed, and there are production quotas required by these services and they are increasing all the time. If they have part time, they would require that you transcribe 5000 lines in every 2 weeks.

Another point--these services want people with 2 years of experience minimum--there are exceptions but those don't pay as well and you should be fairly compensated for what you are required to learn in this profession. So you have the Catch-22--you can't get experience because they won't hire anyone without experience.

There is a difference in schools, too--you will learn a lot, no doubt, regardless of which school you choose, but it might not be all that you need to know to be able to be successful.

I would recommend calling MT companies and asking them if they would hire a graduate from X school. Some of them tell you right on their websites which schools they recommend. Also, make sure you go to an AHDI-approved schools. These schools have met the minimum standards, so at least you have some assurance that you are on the right track. You can find a list of their approved schools at www.ahdionline.org.

Hope this helps--not trying to discourage you, just make you aware of the pitfalls. Those negative MTs are over the top. There is a grain of truth to what they are saying, though, but their delivery lacks a lot to be desired.

Good luck!

kkb (Karyn), who considers herself a newbie and still remembers what it was like to be a newbie!
Re: about to start school... [Re: kkb] #19025
12/16/14 12:19 PM
12/16/14 12:19 PM
Gujarat, India
L
larry12 Offline
Seasoned Gabber
larry12  Offline
Seasoned Gabber
L
Gujarat, India
Starting a school with MT and those which require MT Experience advantage is with you. Those looking for opportunity as Medical transcriptionist can be coped up with.,.

Moderated by  SOMara