Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 16 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums12
Topics3,443
Posts13,203
Members7,064
Most Online175
Sep 26th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
Re: Introduce myself [Re: aweimer] #16453
03/29/12 03:14 PM
03/29/12 03:14 PM
Florida
L
loriamorr Offline
Seasoned Gabber
loriamorr  Offline
Seasoned Gabber
L
Florida
Hi everyone! I'm Lori and I'm new here. I'm currently taking the Beginning MT course at Allied and I'm having my share of highs and lows. I was a dental assistant for 20 years and decided it was time for a change. I'm hoping to network with Allied students so we can help and encourage one another.

Re: Introduce myself [Re: loriamorr] #16540
04/07/12 10:52 PM
04/07/12 10:52 PM
TN
D
DebJ13 Offline
Newbie Gabber
DebJ13  Offline
Newbie Gabber
D
TN
Lori, I have been doing the Allied course for a year now and almost done... my email is debbie-johnson@hotmailcom. I'd love to have someone to chat with out this course!

Last edited by DebJ13; 04/07/12 10:52 PM.
Re: Introduce myself [Re: DebJ13] #16556
04/09/12 09:20 PM
04/09/12 09:20 PM
Michigan
2manyhours Offline
Newbie Gabber
2manyhours  Offline
Newbie Gabber
Michigan
Hi Everyone!. I, too, am new here. I am almost fisnished with this program with two lessons or so to go. Right now I am beside myself in what to do. With everything that I have been hearing about how the MTs pay has been cut in half after working for XX amount of years makes me think twice about if I have wasted my time and money. I went to an MTs website's forum of where they are saying that being an MT is not what it use to be. Some of the thngs that I had read: Cut in pay, the pay is a joke, MT use to be awesome, do something else if you can. One lady said that she would not recommend this field to her own worst enemy. Are the new MTs, (that we will be soon) be hired, (with the little experience that we have) and be able to work from home??? I am trying to think optimist about all of this and keep a positive outlook on getting a job in this field. Even after my own aunt, (28+ years experience) makes it sound like this field is slowly dying due to the SRT computer technology that is coming into reality. I need a job and I guess that when an MT job does comes my way, I will take it. I do have a couple of questions...and if anyone can answer them I would appreciate it...
1.Is working from home (working flexable hours) is there such a thing?
2. Would clients rather have us work from home or be there?

3. I have seen where they want people to work "nightshifts" versus "dayshifts"? I do not understand...can anyone clarify?

3.I thought you can request a certain amount of hours to work?

4.Because of being "a newbie" would it be better for me to not work from home? (for the experience)?

I just feel like I was painted pretty a picture of how MTs love their job (and a lot still do) and how the job market for MTs will be increasing due to the healthcare future. Will there be an increase in the number of jobs due to this healthcare? Or will there be a decrease since SRT is coming?
Everything is about being "cost related." SRT and pay cuts are where that happens.
I am trying to keep positive and just finish this course and trust with GOD's help that I do find that job with my name on it!! I do believe that we all have that job out there with our name on it just waiting for us to come and get it!!

Last edited by 2manyhours; 04/10/12 12:55 PM.
Re: Introduce myself [Re: Kimi] #16964
05/11/12 03:47 AM
05/11/12 03:47 AM
Oregon, United States
M
Mamaw9 Offline
Newbie Gabber
Mamaw9  Offline
Newbie Gabber
M
Oregon, United States
Hi all just wanted to say I am glad I found this site.
Thanks to all that are helping.
I am almost finished and I hope it is all worth it.

Re: Introduce myself [Re: 2manyhours] #16971
05/12/12 05:15 PM
05/12/12 05:15 PM
Maine
K
kkb Offline
Pinnacle Gabber
kkb  Offline
Pinnacle Gabber
K
Maine
Hi 2manyhours,

Welcome! I will try to answer some of your questions. I was an MT for 19 years until my department was outsourced to a national company in October of 2010--just some background info about me.

That being said, I'll try to answer your questions.

1.Is working from home (working flexible hours)--is there such a thing?

Not if you work for a medical transcription service. They need people on at specific times to turn around the work at the rate that their contract indicates. For example, you might have some flexibility as far as maybe you can start between 7 and 9 and work your 8 hours, but most of them are pretty rigid.

If you work for yourself and get your own clients, you have more flexibility as far as when you can work, but you have to turn it around in a timely fashion and work until it is done.

2. Would clients rather have us work from home or be there?

The majority of transcription is done off site. Hospitals don't have office space for transcriptionists. I worked at home for a hospital before my job was outsourced.

3. I have seen where they want people to work "night shifts" versus "day shifts"? I do not understand...can anyone clarify?

Most companies are looking for 2nd shift (approximately 3 p.m. to 11 p.m.) and 3rd shift (approximately 11 p.m. to 7 a.m.) because the majority of people want to work days, so the people with the most seniority have first dibs at what schedule they want to work. Also, the hospitals want their work turned around in 12-24 hours so working at night accomplishes this.

Many companies outsource their transcription overseas where their days are our nights so the overseas MTs overwhelmingly work during their day. When I worked at the hospital I worked 3-11 which I liked, but if I had not wanted to work that shift I would not have been able to work day shift because about 75% of the MTs worked that shift and the others were short-handed. Those people had been there for a long time and had waited their turn to get that shift.

3.I thought you can request a certain amount of hours to work?

Most places don't give you a choice. Some don't even hire anything less than full time. There are some part-time positions available, but they are few and far between.

Also, it's hard to get speed up as a newbie working part time.

4.Because of being "a newbie" would it be better for me to not work from home? (for the experience)?

It would be as far as having someone to listen when you can't get something, but as I said, the majority of employers would have you working at home. At least you have internet access and you can leave the blanks for your employer to listen to. I started out in a hospital in 1992 and can't imagine not having someone there to listen when I got stuck. But, of course, as I said, there was no internet available at that time and no forums like this where you could ask questions.

I believe a lot of these transcription courses do paint a rosy picture (like the big money that can be made, the flexibility of the hours, etc.) when that is not what is not the reality of the profession, but their job is to sell their product so you can't blame them for putting a good spin on it. I've found that the really good programs don't have to do seminars--their reputation precedes them and word of mouth gets them plenty of students. Some of them even require an entrance exam to make sure you have the foundation of grammar, etc., required to succeed in this profession--in other words, it's not all about the money for them.

MTs are evolving into medical editors--I believe the statistic now is that only 20% of transcription is straight transcription--the rest is voice or speech recognition editing. I went to a presentation at a national convention 3 years ago and the speaker was from the transcription department at Vanderbilt Medical Center. At that time she said only 5% of their transcription was straight transcription--the rest was automated speech recognition (ASR [VR or SR). That is the way the profession is going, without a doubt. The software has gotten a lot better in the past 15 years so it is more cost-effective to go that route.

When hospitals want to cut costs, the first place they go is to transcription--it is not seen as a money-making department and is just a necessary evil. Some of them don't appear to even care about the quality of the transcription, as long as they can get it done as cheaply as possible.

One way MT companies cut their expenses is by increasing the required number of lines transcribed per hour. That way, if they offer an incentive if someone transcribes/edits over X amount, more people will be unable to meet the requirement to get the incentive. Production appears to be paramount in this business now, and quality is often sacrificed in the process.

The good news is that you newbies don't have any memory of days where one could actually make a decent wage doing MT, so perhaps you won't miss it. For those of us who do remember, it is discouraging that we are paid so little for what we are required to know to do this job. Example: I was offered 8 cents a line by the company that took over the MT department at the hospital where I worked. In 1996 I was making 7 cents a line. Think about how necessities like food and gas have gone up exponentially since then and you will see how the seasoned MTs see the field these days.

Hope this helped--not meaning to be a downer, just a realist. There ARE jobs out there for newbies, as you can see by reading some of the other posts. It takes a lot of perseverance and time to get one, but part of that is a result of the soft economy these days.

kkb (Karyn), who considers herself a newbie and still remembers what it was like to be a newbie!
Re: Introduce myself [Re: newMThere] #17179
06/13/12 06:49 PM
06/13/12 06:49 PM
USA
P
penumbra Offline
Newbie Gabber
penumbra  Offline
Newbie Gabber
P
USA
Hello everyone:) I am studying now to be a Medical Transcriptionist and almost done. In my past I was an X-ray tech as well as a Radiation Therapy tech, then I went to Art School. I have been a practicing artist now for over 25 years. My past medical training is outdated and thought I would try my "hand" with this field to supplement my income. I am very excited to be part of the medical community again.

Re: Introduce myself [Re: penumbra] #17328
06/29/12 03:25 PM
06/29/12 03:25 PM
Tennessee
R
RedLady Offline
Newbie Gabber
RedLady  Offline
Newbie Gabber
R
Tennessee
Hi everyone, I am a newbie here and have just finished my last final exam for Medical Transcription. I'm working on my resume to get started with my job search. This will sort of be new to me as I worked in a bank for 27 years before being laid off (it's been a long time since I've looked for work). I decided to switch careers and see where this takes me. Although I did have experience at transcribing as I worked in Word Proceesing at the bank.

I just wish I had found this site sooner as it would have been helpful while taking my courses. Everyone seems to be nice and helpful here. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as getting started?

Thanks.

Re: Introduce myself [Re: Kimi] #17360
07/03/12 03:56 PM
07/03/12 03:56 PM
Washington, Lake Stevens
S
Sam'57 Offline
Seasoned Gabber
Sam'57  Offline
Seasoned Gabber
S
Washington, Lake Stevens
Hello! It is so nice to finally be here. I am very new to this site and I am hoping to make friends and help where I can. I do have a few questions to ask about Quiz 24, however, I will have to ask these questions later today. Just wanted to introduce myself - my name is Tammy. I live in WA, Lake Stevens. Started the At-Home Professions courses in Feb. this year. So far so good. A few set backs but I figure they are just learning curves.
Nice to meet everyone out there -

Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  SOMara